what are you listening to at the moment?

Started by findus, January 20, 2011, 12:06:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonglum

Wow... these girls seem to know what they are doing, love the drummer. Check this out Martin @port perran . The Jazz Avengers with a classic AWB track...

https://youtu.be/uUji29XHIbU?feature=shared

Cheers,

Tim

port perran

Quote from: Moonglum on August 22, 2024, 08:24:26 PMWow... these girls seem to know what they are doing, love the drummer. Check this out Martin @port perran . The Jazz Avengers with a classic AWB track...

https://youtu.be/uUji29XHIbU?feature=shared

Cheers,

Tim
That's quite something Tim.
How old is the girl on drums? 12?
I'm sure I'll get used to cream first soon.

Moonglum

If I have the right person Martin @port perran (which I think I have) she is 27! her name is Senri Kawaguchi.

Cheers,

Tim

port perran

I was listening to Dr John last evening.
Here is one of my favourite songs of his - Creole Moon, performed in 2001 when he was 60.
https://youtu.be/MqhK4Bro1p4?si=dYSknnvwDLbADeT9

Moonglum

Bealman

A belated birthday present from Bealette this afternoon, haven't listened to it yet, but I will be  :thumbsup:

I'll be drinking the VB, of course.  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

Vinyl double album too, with words. Just like the old days in Newcastle.

Now... where's that "Fog on the Tyne" album by Lindesfarne?  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

port perran

Quote from: Bealman on August 24, 2024, 09:35:10 AMVinyl double album too, with words. Just like the old days in Newcastle.

Now... where's that "Fog on the Tyne" album by Lindesfarne?  :beers:
Fog on the Tyne was a great album although lambasted on its release for being, if I remember correctly, only 32 minutes long.
I saw Lindisfarne a couple of times in the early 70s.
Always gave their all and good value for money :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

From the wonderful harmonies of 'Clear White Light' to the lyrically superb 'Winter's Song' and the comedic 'Court in the act', I've always enjoyed Lindisfarne and, like Martin, have seen them a couple of times

Trainfish

I think either the sight of kettles on my layout or the consumption of too much cider has befuddled my brain somewhat. The video below popped up as a suggestion after watching one of my own videos and it's started to give me ideas for a future birthday party theme  :hmmm:

John

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Trainfish

And there's more! I think I need to stop looking and go to the gym to work off some of last night's cider.

John

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

Moonglum

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Trainfish on August 25, 2024, 03:14:04 PMAnd there's more! I think I need to stop looking and go to the gym to work off some of last night's cider.

Blondie will be furiously waving her Zimmer at you  :bounce:

Newportnobby

So there I was on a Sunday evening watching a recording of 'The Proms' featuring Holst's 'The Planet Suite' (a particular favourite of mine) . It was a wonderful recital (the lass on the tympani in particular got a deservedly huge cheer :D ). I thought to myself "This is a recent piece i.e. 20th century" but thought back to the classical pieces of much earlier and the composers.

Those composers wrote passages for particular musical instruments but.............who designed those instruments and.............why? I mean, who decided to bend some metal tubing into an intricate shape to produce some notes from what became known as the French Horn and..............why?
What made such a person do that, and what made a person build a wooden frame with masses of strings and create a harp? Drums of all sorts tend to appeal to the more basic senses of rhythm so I can grasp their reason for existence, but what made someone create a clarinet, or trombone etc.

So often have I been awed by the classical music pieces I love listening to but rarely have I taken the thought process further back down the line.

I used to really enjoy getting suited up and going to see orchestras play a favourite piece. You can't beat over 100 musicians going at it with great gusto and creating a wall of sound in a hall with decent acoustics. (Oh, and waiting to see which clod in the audience clapped at the end of a movement instead of waiting until the entire piece had finished) ;D

Frankly, I was a little overwhelmed by all this deep thinking and had to lie down in a darkened room to get over it

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £27.34
Below Goal: £72.66
Site Currency: GBP
27% 
October Donations