Gone right off Tesco

Started by Dorsetmike, August 23, 2015, 04:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorsetmike

I've been using Lidl for some years now, only going to Tesco about once a month to stock up on a few of branded items not stocked by Lidl, Tesco have gradually dropped most of those items, today I find two more have gone, so I can't see me bothering to go there again except maybe once in 6 months, I'll get me Kenco Latte from Amazon; it's not worth the extra distance just for one or two items, especially if I then buy a few other items at Tesco prices to save time while I'm there.

Just to add injury to insult, today some pillock left a dent and scrape on the rear offside of the car.
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

MikeDunn

We only use Tesco when desperate ...

Prefer heading 30 mile to the nearest Waitrose; the food tastes better, we don't end up with any waste; the staff are friendly - and best of all, the cost is comparable !  Don't mind the little more it is for the far better quality  :thumbsup:

Oh & there's a good model rail shop close too   :angel:

austinbob

Quote from: MikeDunn on August 23, 2015, 07:20:08 PM
We only use Tesco when desperate ...

Prefer heading 30 mile to the nearest Waitrose; the food tastes better, we don't end up with any waste; the staff are friendly - and best of all, the cost is comparable !  Don't mind the little more it is for the far better quality  :thumbsup:

Oh & there's a good model rail shop close too   :angel:
I have to say that we had a local Tesco Express open in Cove, Farnborough - 5 mins walk away - and we do most of our shopping there now. Prices are very competitive for the most. We occasionally go to Asda for better deals - of which there are few.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

MikeDunn

Asda  ??? :no: don't start me off on them !!!

austinbob

Quote from: MikeDunn on August 23, 2015, 09:39:23 PM
Asda  ??? :no: don't start me off on them !!!
Mike - I guess its down to where you are and local circumstances. I know what works for me and SWMBO but I'm sure everyone has different experiences and preferences. Heh Hoh!! thats life I guess.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

MikeDunn

True enough, Bob, true enough  :wave:

I prefer to support local independent shops where possible; sadly, for a 'main shop' that's not the case  :(  But they do get the 'fill-in' shopping  :thumbsup:

Pete @ EGLM

How about we start a list of supermarkets where you can walk to a model shop from their car parks.
I'll start the ball rolling with Waitrose Twyford- about a hundred yards walk to the Berkshire Dolls House shop (N gauge stocked and lots of glues and paint).
Secondly Waitrose Alton- about five minutes walk to Alton Models.

Regards to all

Pete @ EGLM

railsquid

Quote from: Pete @ EGLM on August 23, 2015, 11:01:28 PM
How about we start a list of supermarkets where you can walk to a model shop from their car parks.
I'll start the ball rolling with Waitrose Twyford- about a hundred yards walk to the Berkshire Dolls House shop (N gauge stocked and lots of glues and paint).
Secondly Waitrose Alton- about five minutes walk to Alton Models.
Morrisons in Hereford, a short walk from Hereford Model Centre.

D1042 Western Princess

At serious risk of getting  :veryangry: :censored: from the rest of you as this post is going 'wrong line' but I like our town centre Tescos; the staff are friendly and helpful and Spot On models is only 5 minutes walk away too.
Not having a car it's also very handy for the bus station.
If it's not a Diesel Hydraulic then it's not a real locomotive.

MikeDunn

Quote from: railsquid on August 23, 2015, 11:54:43 PM
Morrisons in Hereford, a short walk from Hereford Model Centre.
Beat me to naming that one, Squiddy, but that's the one I was referring to up above  :D

David Asquith

Not sure if it is the correct name but Wakefield Model Shop on Dewsbury Road is about 30 metres from the corner of Morrisons supermarket car park.

When we shopped at Tesco's we found that their veg didn't stay fresh very long.  Loved home delivery though.

Dave

Steve Brassett

Waitrose in Stevenage Old Town is about 100 yards from KS Models.

MikeDunn

Quote from: Espantrainfan on August 24, 2015, 08:57:49 AM
When we shopped at Tesco's we found that their veg didn't stay fresh very long.

And that's (one of) the major issues with Tesco's ...some of the 'fresh' stuff doesn't last a day before it's thrown out !!!  :o  And our cats won't go near any meat off-cuts from there, unlike that from local butchers or Waitrose ...

guest311

after years of being king of the supermarkets, Tescos really do seem to be losing the plot.

lots of items which used to be available are no longer stocked, shelves seem to be filled with anything handy rather than the item that is on the label on the shelf, and stock seems to go 'out of stock, a lot of the time.

'fresh' items are often still cold from being chilled /  frozen, and as said don't last as well as they used to.

that's without mentioning the profits scandal.

things just seem to have deteriorated since the departure of Terry Leahey.

Agrippa

Quote from: Espantrainfan on August 24, 2015, 08:57:49 AM
When we shopped at Tesco's we found that their veg didn't stay fresh very long.  Loved home delivery though.

Dave

A bit like Lidl's stuff , their bananas go from green to black overnight... :(
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £55.00
Site Currency: GBP
45% 
June Donations