Locomotive Detailing - Accessories

Started by Ed, July 07, 2024, 12:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed

Does anybody add the supplied accessories that come as standard with many locomotives?

I've a Dapol Class 122 which I don't intend to couple to anything, so I thought why not remove the Rapido coupling and fit the accessories.

Easier said than done with fat old fingers and less than perfect eyesight  :(

I managed to break one of the exhaust pipes when removing the roof to fit a decoder, and the replacement Dapol sent me isn't exactly straight, but it's not really noticeable at normal viewing distance.

I've tried various magnifiers and tweezers, but the screw link couplings and pipes have me beat.

Just wondered if anyone else bothers with the accessories in this scale.

Ed

martyn

Yes, I do.

I put them on the front of tender locos, and one end of diesels. if there is space, I also add to other locos wherever possible; I also add end corridor connector blanks to coaches, as well as rear red lamps, remove the coupling, and add the brake and steam heat pipes. I also add headcode lamps or discs if possible.

Yes, it's very fiddly, and I find you sometime need to 'ease' the moulded holes to allow a fit for these.

it does make a difference, even in this scale.

It does mean that my diesels have to go on the turntable at James Street when one has worked a train into the terminus!

Martyn

Ed

Quote from: martyn on July 07, 2024, 12:36:03 PMI put them on the front of tender locos, and one end of diesels.

It does mean that my diesels have to go on the turntable at James Street when one has worked a train into the terminus!

Doesn't that make operations more difficult Martyn?

Ed

martyn

Quote from: Ed on July 07, 2024, 12:45:56 PM
Quote from: martyn on July 07, 2024, 12:36:03 PMI put them on the front of tender locos, and one end of diesels.

Doesn't that make operations more difficult Martyn?

Ed

Yes and no.....

At home, I tend to run diesels in the same direction, ie either clockwise or anticlockwise, though on different trains (my main layout is a roundy roundy_with two bay platforms), likewise steam. But I do have a turntable if required. If running steam to the branch terminus, then I use a tank with couplings each end; likewise diesels (cl15+16).

On James Street, at the terminus which I normally work, and also the goods terminus, then locos are released and steam tender locos turned on the adjacent shed table, as they would be anyway; the only extra is turning my diesels. I'm not sure if Dave /southerngooner's diesels have pipes, and Steve's definitely don't, so it's not too much hassle.

I try and keep locos with correct headcode on appropriate trains at home, but at exhibitions, this isn't always the case.

Martyn

martyn

@Ed

One tip when gluing the pipes and things in place; use super glue gel type.

It has more 'hold' or 'grab' whilst the glue is drying and helps prevent the pipes fall out.

Martyn

class8mikado

Half the problem is that even with the benefits of photos some of the bits are so obscure its difficult to fugure out what they are/ where they go, and there is almost never an instruction diagram,,,

Ed

In this particular case there is a diagram to show where they go, it's getting them there that's the problem  :)

Ed

Bealman

As you say, increasing age and decreasing eyesight doesn't assist.

But superglue gel is the way to do it! I use a cocktail stick. I find them finer than toothpicks.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Ed

Haven't even attempted gluing George, just trying to get a very small black pipe into a very small black hole to test fit seems beyond me.

Perhaps I need some better tweezers to hold the  :censored:  pipes 

Bealman

Yes, as Martyn says, widen it a bit and take your time. :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Newportnobby

With my shaky hands and wonky eyesight it's not something I consider doing :no:
Just hope it's not R.S.I. :worried:  ;)

Ed

Gave up.

Got pipes attached at one end, but it didn't look right and they weren't very secure.

The screw-link coupling fouls the bogie a bit and they're probably all way overscale anyway.

I leave it to the younger guys with better eyesight and steadier hands, but thanks for the suggestions.

It looked a bit odd with no couplings, so I've fitted Dapol knuckle couplings which look a bit better than a rapido ones in my view.

I've a DCC decoder query as well for this model, but I'll start a new thread.

Ed

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £38.14
Below Goal: £61.86
Site Currency: GBP
38% 
September Donations