West Highland Models wagons on eBay - any experiences?

Started by cmason, July 08, 2024, 12:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmason

Hi to the Hive.

Has anyone bought and tried any of these products:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/westhighlandmodels ?

Interested in any reviews as they could be a useful basis for modifying,

Colin.

Southerngooner

They look interesting. The builder has obviously spotted a market but until I see one and get to see how it is modelled and runs I'll wait and see. I don't need any of the wagons he is producing, some of which I think have been done as RTR, NGS kits and from our own Ross Tierney.

One to keep an eye one maybe

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

cmason

Quote from: Southerngooner on July 08, 2024, 01:56:14 PMsome of which I think have been done as RTR, NGS kits and from our own Ross Tierney.

@Southerngooner

The LNER tranship van ( roadvan ) is something I had not seen modelled before - also the LNER 12 ton van looks a little different with its canvas roof section ( it looks awfully familiar and I have been trying to find it in my Tatlow but so far have failed ).

And almost certainly the wheels would need replacing - but I have a big box of those...

cmason

@Southerngooner my mistake, I found them - thought they looked familiar - they are both NER designs - found the 12T in North Eastern Record and then the correct pages of Tatlow. The 12 ton is a Diag G2 with short strapping and tarpaulin roof door section. The Tranship van is a 15T Diag G6, the version without roof doors.

Don't think I have seen these elsewhere so I think I may buy some - could be good if the print quality is OK.

icairns

Quote from: cmason on July 08, 2024, 02:08:12 PMThe LNER tranship van ( roadvan ) is soemthing I had not seen modelled before

A Little Piece of N Gauge History

Way back in the very early days of British N gauge, Peter Middleton (through his company Highfield Models) introduced various rolling stock card kits including the NER Road Van and the NER Tranship Van.

The kits included the design of the vehicle body printed on card (which had to be cut out with an X-Acto type knife), and two sets of coloured lithograph sides to be glued on to the completed body. 

Here are models of the two Highfield kits that I made around 1969-70 when I was about 16 years old.  They were designed to fit on the Peco 15' underframe. 

Ian

Catalogue no. VB.5 NER Road Van

Catalogue no. VB.6 Tranship Van

cmason

@icairns

Ian,

Thanks. I think you posted these a while back as well (yes?) which is maybe why I vaguely recalled the Tranship van,

Cheers,

Colin.

icairns

Quote from: cmason on July 08, 2024, 04:36:19 PMI think you posted these a while back as well (yes?) which is maybe why I vaguely recalled the Tranship van,

@cmason

Well, you have a better memory than me!  I know I have made several posts about Highfield Models in the past but I do not remember posting photos of these vans previously.

But I could be wrong.......

Ian

Bealman

I think Chris may be right. I recall seeing these photos  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

cmason

Quote from: icairns on July 08, 2024, 07:16:19 PM
Quote from: cmason on July 08, 2024, 04:36:19 PMI think you posted these a while back as well (yes?) which is maybe why I vaguely recalled the Tranship van,

@cmason

Well, you have a better memory than me!  I know I have made several posts about Highfield Models in the past but I do not remember posting photos of these vans previously.

But I could be wrong.......

Ian

@icairns

Hi Ian,

Relief - I knew my memory was not totally blown  :bounce: 

Quick search and seems you did it at least twice:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?msg=822718

and

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?msg=793653

I rest my case M'lud   ;)

Cheers,

Colin.

icairns

I am glad that some Forum members apparently pay more attention to my posts than I do!

Good job!

Ian

leachsprite4

Back to the OP I have bought the fruit D in crimson. They run well, but I have dropped peco plastic wheels in. They are slightly shorter and narrower than the Dapol version.
Better underframe detail than Dapol and the coupling pockets work to change over for other brands.

class8mikado

The problem with finding a relatively rare design, like the tranship, is that there are no transfers out there for Numbering etc.....

cmason

So 6 off the Diag G2 and 3 off the Diag G6 arrived a day or so ago and I am mighty pleased with them.  A solid add to my NER/LNER van collection.

Here are some pics in the raw - I will get to the decaling and re-wheeling very shortly. Although as @class8mikado has commented decals are an issue on some of these rare models. Having said that I have gradually sourced a fair few solutions for a number of models that frustrated me. Given that I am still searching for the old Woodhead WR20 sheets which even if they are dried out may be restorable - and maybe one day I can get some custom designs done as well as there does seem to be enough interest to share costs. Anyway - pics:

cmason

So from those first pics I think that it can be seem that there is a good level of detail. Including the underframe and brake gear. So I have taken a few more pics with the flash switched on which shows some of that even better although I still have not managed to capture the underframe as well as the real life images - will try harder once they are "dressed". BTW - I noted when inspecting the underframe that metal weights are already in place which augers well for theses staying on track :-)

martyn

I used a old Woodhead sheet when labelling my LMS Fish van last month.

I still have the remains of two sheets which sometimes come in useful

Martyn 

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £38.14
Below Goal: £61.86
Site Currency: GBP
38% 
September Donations