Has this been a bumper year for N?

Started by Southerngooner, July 21, 2024, 10:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southerngooner

I hope this last twelve months has set the pattern for future years though. Farish, Dapol, Revolution, Rapido and Sonic all seem to be able to turn out at least one new loco a year, plus stock. In terms of the steam and transition eras there isn't a lot more to do stock wise if you consider just "normal" stock and not the rarities. The major miss for me is LMS vans (NGS kit of course, but not RTR) and some SR EMUs, although I know the latter probably don't sell well, reducing their chances of being made. But in terms of locos, there aren't that many non-esoteric types that have not been produced in the post-2010 era.

GW 15/94xx panniers, King, the big eight coupled tanks
LMS Crab, Princess Royal, 2P/4P
LNER N2/N7, J15/17, K2/3/4
SR Nelson, King Arthur, Q, D/E/L1, 71/74
BR 4MT 4-6-0, class 15/16

I'm positive about the future, but then again I've got most of the stuff I need for BL and don't buy stuff that couldn't be seen there. I do have James Street as a "Rule 1" option and have bought an 8F for that.

Let's hope the current rate of progress continues.....

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Richard Taylor

Quote from: Southerngooner on July 22, 2024, 03:58:47 PMIn terms of the steam and transition eras there isn't a lot more to do stock wise if you consider just "normal" stock and not the rarities...there aren't that many non-esoteric types that have not been produced in the post-2010 era.

Dave

I'm not sure I agree Dave - it depends on your definition of "esoteric", and also on railway modellers' understanding of real railway history. For example, in terms of providing core motive power for a representative model railway the LMS Twins and the Class 28s are, in reality, pretty esoteric! But Rule 1 sells...

Whereas the range of workaday locos formerly produced by Union Mills are now a huge gap in the N steam market. The UM range included some classes that should be bought in multiple for any reasonably-representative grouping and early BR layout. Many of them could also be produced in colourful pre-grouping liveries (oh OK, and LNWR black  :D)

Richard

Newportnobby

It has long surprised me no one has made the Std 4 4-6-0 as there were 80 in the class and they had a widespread allocation, being jack of all trade type of loco. Definitely one I thought Farish would do :hmmm:
Luckily I have one of Dr Al's great creations :)

Southerngooner

Yep, I have to agree Richard. There are a few of the UM locos that could do with bringing into the modern era - B12, G2, etc.....

It's a shame that the esoteric sells more than the normal though. Look at how much has been made in OO, you can get most of the rare experimental diesels and things like the Fell and Leader than only ever made a few test runs. Bonkers!

Dave
Dave

Builder of "Brickmakers Lane" and member of "James Street" operating team.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £38.14
Below Goal: £61.86
Site Currency: GBP
38% 
September Donations