The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebrighton

A couple of weeks ago a guy evidently knocked on my parents front door (they're in their 80's) to say they had a tile that had slipped. He offered to pop and sort it for free. Whilst up there he "noticed" a loose ridge tile and quoted them an exorbitant amount. They said they'd have to pay by cheque so he got aggressive and left.
Today 2 chaps turned up and said there were 3 loose ridge tiles and proceeded to go up to fix them. It looks like a bit of polyfilla was smeared along the join.
Then one came inside and went upstairs then demanded cash for the work. Mum then got out a pile of cash, somewhere around £400 (who knows why she had it). The bloke snatched it out of her hand and said they'd be back on Tuesday for another £160 owed.
The bloody nerve of these people. Anyhow Police called and details taken but they admitted it was unlikely they'd have the resources to investigate.
Looks like I'll have to spend Tuesday around their house in case he turns up when the Police have instructed me to dial 999.
I could do without this stress and the amount of times I've had this chat with my parents as it's not the first time  :(

Newportnobby

Maybe like many on this forum, I order my repeat prescriptions on line and get them sent to a local pharmacy within 48 hours. Normally this works very well but I ordered my last set on the 4th June and called in at the pharmacy on the 8th, only to be told they had not received it. I checked my online patient system and it confirmed the prescription was ordered on the 4th and approved by my GP on the 4th. Of course, 8th was a Saturday and the surgery don't work weekends.
I rang this morning (lines open 9-12) at about 09.30 and was informed I was 20th in the queue on the specific prescription queries line. After 39 minutes of listening to the same dire muzak interrupted by me being told how the queue as going down I got through to be told for some reason the prescription had been printed off and, indeed, not sent to the pharmacy. No apology, just did I want to collect it or should they cancel it and resend a new one to the pharmacy?
Also during this 39 minutes, I was repeatedly informed appointments were available through the same online NHS system I use for my prescriptions. This is, in fact, a bare faced lie as my GP surgery has discontinued using that system of booking appointments. This I know because my GP informed me so when I last saw him and queried it.

So, top marks for ineptitude all round :claphappy:  :unimpressed:  :censored:

TeeCee

Quote from: thebrighton on June 01, 2024, 08:14:25 PMA couple of weeks ago a guy evidently knocked on my parents front door (they're in their 80's) to say they had a tile that had slipped. He offered to pop and sort it for free. Whilst up there he "noticed" a loose ridge tile
I could do without this stress and the amount of times I've had this chat with my parents as it's not the first time  :(
Hope you had this well sorted. Any outcome?

Trainfish

The answer lies here. Free delivery. Updates on when the GP approves them, when they are being sent out and also delivery date/time. I've used them for years and they are excellent.
John

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

thebrighton

Quote from: TeeCee on June 10, 2024, 11:49:55 AM
Quote from: thebrighton on June 01, 2024, 08:14:25 PMA couple of weeks ago a guy evidently knocked on my parents front door (they're in their 80's) to say they had a tile that had slipped. He offered to pop and sort it for free. Whilst up there he "noticed" a loose ridge tile
Hope you had this well sorted. Any outcome?

A bit of a mixed bag leading to even more stress.

First up the Police called round the following day and then again on the Tuesday to go door knocking for any info so I cannot complain at all and was very impressed.

The guy did however come back on the Monday and knocked. My parents couldn't ring 999 straight away though as their phone (despite many attempts by myself) is still tethered to the wall by the front door.

I never really understood why a scammer would be returning for just the random amount of £160 but this became evident later on the Tuesday when he called again and I answered the door. First up this massive brute of a man was shorter than me and about 10 stone fully clothed and he may be an Oscar level actor but he seemed genuinely shocked. He claimed the bill was £310 and my parents paid £150 and said they would have the rest on Tuesday. He then claimed (and he was telling the truth, I checked) he noticed the dislodged ridge tiles when working on a roof a few doors down over the road and that day was working on another roof a further few doors down that day.

He said he'd put it down to experience and would write off the £160 and left.

I have had concerns about both my parents who are in their late 80's which leads onto the additional stress. My dad admitted there were 3 ridge tiles that were dislodged (probably by the first guy, a genuine scammer) so work did need doing, he'd forgotten. Over the proceeding days my mum had changed her story a number of times but was adamant how much she had handed over but had come up with 6 different amounts. He now hadn't snatched the money from her and wasn't towering over her as she needs a walker to move so was sitting down whilst he was standing and she was also talking to her brother on the phone at the same time who was about to have emergency heart surgery. However she knew how much she handed over as she'd written it down on the envelope the cash had been in. I found the envelope which had a list of the work done written on it and how much it cost and how much was owed and signed by a "David". Mum swears blind she wrote it down but it is clearly not her handwriting.

I fear dementia has been showing its head recently and it is quite clear she got very confused by events but refuses to admit it.

I think this guy genuinely saw the tiles were loose and offered his services and didn't charge too much. He has a genuine business and is working on several properties in their road and now has the Police after him.

Newportnobby

It can be pretty bad when relatives get to an age where such things happen. If you haven't done so already I'd recommend for you to have 'Power of Attorney'. My mother aged 84 even asked me if I would do this as she was concerned she was getting forgetful and equated that to a worry about dementia. It's relatively cheap and easy to do and, once done, lasts until, being the least blunt I can, it is not required any more

thebrighton

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 10, 2024, 03:12:27 PMIt can be pretty bad when relatives get to an age where such things happen. If you haven't done so already I'd recommend for you to have 'Power of Attorney'. My mother aged 84 even asked me if I would do this as she was concerned she was getting forgetful and equated that to a worry about dementia. It's relatively cheap and easy to do and, once done, lasts until, being the least blunt I can, it is not required any more

My parents already have one drawn up and have for a few years but it's a tricky one as it needs both to be 'incapacitated' for want of a better word but dad is still ok. It's tricky as he has never had anything to do with money as it was mums career but it's her suffering but both are in complete denial.
Interesting weeks and months on the horizon.

PaulCheffus

Quote from: thebrighton on June 10, 2024, 03:46:11 PM
Quote from: Newportnobby on June 10, 2024, 03:12:27 PMIt can be pretty bad when relatives get to an age where such things happen. If you haven't done so already I'd recommend for you to have 'Power of Attorney'. My mother aged 84 even asked me if I would do this as she was concerned she was getting forgetful and equated that to a worry about dementia. It's relatively cheap and easy to do and, once done, lasts until, being the least blunt I can, it is not required any more

My parents already have one drawn up and have for a few years but it's a tricky one as it needs both to be 'incapacitated' for want of a better word but dad is still ok. It's tricky as he has never had anything to do with money as it was mums career but it's her suffering but both are in complete denial.
Interesting weeks and months on the horizon.

Hi

I have one for my mum and she is completely on the ball. It is useful for me to use her account to get her things she requires as it's difficult but not impossible for her to get out of the house.

I also had a separate one for my Dad so I am unsure why both your parents have to be incapacitated.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

thebrighton

Quote from: PaulCheffus on June 10, 2024, 06:27:30 PMI have one for my mum and she is completely on the ball. It is useful for me to use her account to get her things she requires as it's difficult but not impossible for her to get out of the house.

I also had a separate one for my Dad so I am unsure why both your parents have to be incapacitated.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,
I've no idea why both either. I knew nothing about what they were drawing up, they just said I had some forms to sign. Bottom line I believe is they wanted something in place to stop my brother getting anywhere near their money as he has previous.

Graham

Quote from: Newportnobby on June 10, 2024, 10:34:43 AMMaybe like many on this forum, I order my repeat prescriptions on line and get them sent to a local pharmacy within 48 hours. Normally this works very well but I ordered my last set on the 4th June and called in at the pharmacy on the 8th, only to be told they had not received it. I checked my online patient system and it confirmed the prescription was ordered on the 4th and approved by my GP on the 4th. Of course, 8th was a Saturday and the surgery don't work weekends.
I rang this morning (lines open 9-12) at about 09.30 and was informed I was 20th in the queue on the specific prescription queries line. After 39 minutes of listening to the same dire muzak interrupted by me being told how the queue as going down I got through to be told for some reason the prescription had been printed off and, indeed, not sent to the pharmacy. No apology, just did I want to collect it or should they cancel it and resend a new one to the pharmacy?
Also during this 39 minutes, I was repeatedly informed appointments were available through the same online NHS system I use for my prescriptions. This is, in fact, a bare faced lie as my GP surgery has discontinued using that system of booking appointments. This I know because my GP informed me so when I last saw him and queried it.

So, top marks for ineptitude all round :claphappy:  :unimpressed:  :censored:
After seeing this post and others similar I am beginning to worry, our GP is about to embark on a similar system. hopefully they have learnt from the issues you guys are facing, but I doubt it.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £75.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
June Donations