The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Yes, I did indeed mean maligned. Just testing ya  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

stevewalker

We arranged for our eldest son to take driving lessons every day from 5th to 13th August and to take his test on 14th. He booked the time off work and I made arrangement with my work to let me get him to his instructor and back, so as not to lose time getting to and from the test area each day.

The DVSA have today cancelled his test and put it back to 20th September. That means he'll need to come back from Leeds to Manchester extra times, take extra lessons so as not to have over a month's lack of practice; I'll have to take more unpaid time off work; and he'll have to make arrangements, as he's due back to the final year of his university course then.

It also totally messes up his 21st birthday, as we intended to give him a car if he passed.

Everything was based around the test date and that was arranged only 2-1/2 weeks ago!

jpendle

I picked up a brand new car last Wednesday, took it home and hid it parked it in the garage.

I've still got my company fleet car for a couple of weeks so I'll mainly be driving that.

It's first time I've ever OWNED a brand new car.

Took it out today for a ride and on the way home something hit the windscreen and now it's got a crack in it.  >:(  >:(  >:(

What's worse is that there wasn't another vehicle in sight so I've no idea what hit the windscreen or where it came from  :veryangry:  :veryangry:

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

And my Automation Thread

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=52597.msg687934#msg687934

dannyboy

Quote from: jpendle on August 03, 2024, 07:08:28 PMWhat's worse is that there wasn't another vehicle in sight so I've no idea what hit the windscreen or where it came from

This happened to us when we were in the previous car. There was a very loud 'crack' and I slowed down but could see that, fortunately, there did not appear to be any damage to the windscreen. No cars about or anything and we were on a country road. When we got back home, I reviewed that dashcam footage and, slowing the playback right down, we saw what it was. It was a branch from a tree, maybe 12 inches in length and neither of us saw it coming down!
Congratulations on the new car.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

stevewalker

To add top the trouble in my previous post - today I spent the day working on my Land Rover, leaving taking my son out for some practice, in the Matiz, until the early evening. The plan was to have lessons each morning and then practice with me each evening. Except that while we were out, the Matiz's brake master cylinder failed :( I drove it back (the dual-circuit brakes made it drivable, but still a bit hairy).

Malc

At least you still had some brakes. When the seals on the master cylinder on my mini went, I was trying to stop behind a lorry on a narrow street. Pressed the pedal and nowt happened. Fortunately there was a side road on the right, so I dragged the wheel round and shot up the road, just in front of the car the lorry had stopped to let through. I think the driver might have known me as he waved.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

stevewalker

Yes. I had been considering upgrading my Land Rover to dual-circuit brakes. I'll have to take another look!

Bealman

Many years ago, the accelerator cable jammed on the Hyundai Excel I was driving, and I couldn't stop! I managed to get it home on a busy windy highway, but wore out out the brakes completely. A nightmare I'd forgotten about until now!!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Bealman on August 06, 2024, 01:57:36 AMMany years ago, the accelerator cable jammed on the Hyundai Excel I was driving, and I couldn't stop! I managed to get it home on a busy windy highway, but wore out out the brakes completely.

And there, M'Lud, rests the case for the defence :angel:

Bealman

Malc

I had a Hillman Imp, a rear engined car. One winter's night, driving home from work at 12:30 am, the throttle cable froze. I drove home in second gear with the engine reving its do dahs off. By the time I got home, the heat from the engine had defrosted it.There were 3 sets of traffic lights, all were on green. Somebody was looking after me.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

lil chris

Just a warning to anyone buying from Rails of Sheffield, there is a option for delivery by DHL, don't bother it's DHL express and it does not give you a time, Your Delivery Will Be By End Of Day...... so stuck in waiting, I should have paid more for DPD.
Chris H.
Lil Chris
My new layout  East Lancashire Railway
My old layout was Irwell Valley Railway.
Layout previous was East Lancashire Lines, changed this new one. My new layout here.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57193.0

Graham

before I retired using DHL or FEDeX from Hattons was always my delivery choice, could order on Friday afternoon and it was normally delivered by end of day Monday. (half a world away)
But wouldn't use them now, cost more and very often get caught for GST (VAT) when the goods land into Aus.

Portpatrick

By contrast is my experience with Arcadia, and that of my 2 fellow Watford based modellers/ operators of my layouts. If we phone an order to Tim before lunchtime, Karen will box it and take it to the Post Office that afternoon.  The delivery is either next day or the day after. And that is dear old Royal Mail.  His prices are competitive.

Roy L S

Quote from: lil chris on September 10, 2024, 09:07:10 AMJust a warning to anyone buying from Rails of Sheffield, there is a option for delivery by DHL, don't bother it's DHL express and it does not give you a time, Your Delivery Will Be By End Of Day...... so stuck in waiting, I should have paid more for DPD.
Chris H.

I believe DHL stands for "Drop, Hide, Lose"  :hmmm:

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £73.14
Below Goal: £26.86
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
September Donations